Our Radiology Department conducts more than 400 diagnostic and therapeutic procedures per day, while maintaining the highest standards of clinical excellence. Led by the most competent group of professionals, the department is committed to providing our patients with a compassionate and caring environment using the most modern technology and research in clinical imaging.
Facilities & Services
SKMCH&RC has the largest concentrations of equipment focused on cancer and non-cancer imaging in Pakistan. The installation of Pakistan’s first PET/CT scanner, a hybrid technology that gives more accurate picture of what is happening inside the body, has revolutionised our diagnosis, treatment and management of cancer. The Radiology Department also has a fully equipped DSA suite, digital DR and CR fluoroscopic units, Pakistan’s only full-field digital mammography unit with CAD (computer assisted diagnosis), and Pakistan’s first ultrasound Toshiba Aplio XG capable of elastography for breast tumours. We are also equipped with 64-Slice CT scanners that capture and construct three dimensional images of anatomy as thin as a credit card, with unprecedented speed and accuracy, allowing referring physicians and patients to easily review and understand the findings on the scan.
There are dedicated workstations for image processing and analysis. A filmless digital environment for processing and viewing images exists across the Hospital through our modern Picture Archiving Communications System (PACS) and an electronic medical record system is in use. This, together with our dedicated staff, enables both high-quality image acquisition and display besides interpretation.
The Radiology Department at SKMCH&RC provides a full spectrum of radiology services that includes not only diagnostic imaging but also complex and delicate interventional radiological procedures.
Diagnostic Radiology Services
- MRI perfusion studies where the scans determine the blood flow to each organs
- MRI spectroscopy to determine the chemical nature of the tumour
- MRI of each body organ can be exclusively performed at the Hospital
- Cardiac CT
- CT colonoscopy
- All types of image guided biopsies
- Digital subtraction angiography to obtain real-time images of blood vessels in body organs
- PET/CT scanning for assessing metabolism level of disease process
Interventional Radiological Procedures
- A variety of specialised studies and interventional therapeutic procedures are performed by our radiology professionals:
- Neuro Intervention using state-of the art equipment to place coils and glue through micro catheters and devices directly to target sites deep within the head through a small skin incision.
- Embolisation to deliver medication and block the blood flow to different organs. Transarterial Chemo Embolisation (TACE) is an example in which chemotherapy is injected through the hepatic artery targeting the tumour in liver.
- Treatment of liver cancer with ablative techniques such as radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and alcohol ablation
- Peripheral or vascular stenting, gastrointestinal stenting and stenting across biliary and urologic tumours.
As an affiliate of College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan, the department trains and prepares residents for FCPS. Additionally, we offer fellowship programs in interventional radiology and PET/CT.
Awards, Certifications & Affiliations
The Department of Radiology is ISO certified and working towards JCIA.