Anaesthesiology at SKMCH&RC, Peshawar
The Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre (SKMCH&RC), Peshawar aims to provide safe anaesthesia services with the help of skilled team who work with patients and their family members before, during and after surgery. The Department of Anaesthesia comprises of consultants, junior doctors, anaesthesia technicians and dedicated PACU staff who work as a team towards patient care. After thorough evaluation, our team of anaesthetists develop an anaesthesia plan tailored to individual patient’s needs, and then carefully monitor the patient during surgery.
The Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine provides the following services inside the Hospital:
- Anaesthesia, Sedation and Monitored Anaesthesia Care in the 2 operating rooms and 4 bedded Post Anaesthesia Care Unit (PACU).
- Tunnelled venous line access (Short term and long term) for patients
- Anaesthesia, Sedation and Monitored Anaesthesia Care for the following departments and procedures:
- Radiology (MRI, CT scan)
- Preoperative assessments of patients
- Instituting definite and advanced airway
- Comprehensive acute pain service
- Daily consultant led acute pain round
- 24/7 acute pain cover
TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES FOR PHYSICIANS
In addition to case-by-case teaching and on hands training by consultants, a regular teaching programme is in place for all junior doctors including weekly grand rounds on Friday.
The department also provides an excellent opportunity for researchers to investigate many important issues, including:
- How Anaesthetics Work
- Simulators and Human Performance
- Making Regional Analgesia Reliable
- Measuring Outcomes following Anaesthesia
- Reducing Pain following Surgery