Clinical Radiology at SKMCH&RC, Lahore
The installation of Pakistan’s first PET/CT scanner at SKMCH&RC, Lahore revolutionised the management of cancer in Pakistan and we continue to expand our radiology services to stay at the forefront of cancer care in the region.
SKMCH&RC has the largest concentrations of equipment focused on cancer and non-cancer imaging in Pakistan. The installation of Pakistan’s first PET/CT scanner, a hybrid technology that gives more accurate picture of what is happening inside the body, has revolutionised our diagnosis, treatment and management of cancer. The Department of Radiology has a fully equipped DSA suite, digital radiography fluoroscopic units, and Pakistan’s first digital mammography with tomosynthesis facility (3D imaging of the breast). We are also equipped with the latest 160-Slice CT scanner allowing delivery of ultra-low radiation doses to the patients. We have the 3-Tesla MRI, one of its kind in the region, which provides high resolution and detailed imaging, allowing radiologists and physicians to easily identify smaller lesions leading to more accurate diagnosis and management of disease.
There are dedicated workstations for image processing and analysis. A filmless digital environment for processing and viewing images exists across the Hospital through our modern Picture Archiving Communications System (PACS) and an electronic medical record system is in use. This, together with our dedicated staff, enables both high-quality image acquisition and display besides interpretation.
The Department of Radiology at SKMCH&RC provides a full spectrum of radiology services that include not only diagnostic imaging but also complex and delicate interventional radiological procedures.
Diagnostic Radiology Services
- PET/CT scanning for assessing metabolism level of disease process.
- MRI perfusion studies where the scans determine the blood flow to each organ.
- MRI spectroscopy to determine the chemical nature of the tumour.
- MRI of each body organ can be exclusively performed at the Hospital.
- Cardiovascular CT.
- CT colonoscopy.
- All types of image guided biopsies.
- Digital subtraction angiography to obtain real-time images of blood vessels in body organs.
- FibroScan for measuring scarring and steatosis (fatty change) in the liver.
Interventional Radiological Procedures
A variety of specialised studies and interventional therapeutic procedures are performed by our radiology professionals:
- Embolisation to deliver medication and block the blood flow to different organs. Transarterial Chemo Embolisation (TACE) is an example in which chemotherapy is injected through the hepatic artery targeting the tumour in liver.
- Treatment of liver cancer with ablative techniques such as radiofrequency, microwave, and alcohol ablation
- Peripheral or vascular stenting, gastrointestinal stenting and stenting across biliary and urologic tumours.
- Venous access for example, PICC lines, ports, and central venous catheters.
TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES FOR PHYSICIANS
As an affiliate of College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan, the Department trains and prepares residents for FCPS. Additionally, we offer fellowship programs in interventional radiology, PET/CT, cross-sectional imaging and women imaging.