Post –RN Diploma in Perioperative Nursing
This 1-year Post –RN Diploma in Perioperative Nursing is consists of 12 core modules along with 6 supplementary modules. The curriculum furnishes nurses with a unique body of knowledge, skills and attitude in order to provide competent and compassionate care to patients and their families and to promote excellence in Perioperative Nursing.
The objectives of this course are to:
- Expand knowledge base about perioperative nursing practice, which is comprehensive, current and authentic.
- Provide an advanced educational experience to develop intellectual and ingenious abilities of the nurses to facilitate the development of independent judgment and problem-solving skills in perioperative nursing.
- Enable the students nurse to become a knowledgeable and skilled practitioner and develop competencies & expertise in the field of Perioperative Nursing.
- Enhance critical thinking skills and foster a holistic & patient-centered nursing care perspective in Perioperative Nursing.
- Enable the students to develop presentation, teaching and learning, organizational, leadership and communication skills.
- Develop students’ awareness of research and facilitate use of relevant research findings into Perioperative Nursing practice.
- Diploma in General Nursing at least 60 % marks and above.
- Must have achieved minimum 50% marks in Matric. Candidates who have completed General Nursing after 1995 will have to be Matriculate with Science Minimum 50% marks in Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics) or equivalent. Intermediate with Science is preferable.
- Diploma in General Nursing with minimum 50% and above from a Pakistan Nursing Council recognized institution.
- Diploma in Midwifery (Females only) with minimum 50% and above from a Pakistan Nursing Council recognized institution.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing (BScN) GPA 2.5 (minimum) from a Pakistan Nursing Council recognized institution
- At least 2-years’ experience as a Registered Nurse from any institution or hospital recognized by Pakistan Nursing Council (preferably experience in oncology, surgery and emergency/and critical care unit).
- Current registration with Pakistan Nursing Council (PNC).
Why this Course?
General nursing curricula have limited exposure to perioperative nursing practice which in turn limits the chances of newly trained nurses to peruse a career in this specialty. On the other hand invention of new surgical techniques and advancement of health care technology and instrumentation have raised the need for specialized education for perioperative nurses especially those working in operating rooms and post anesthesia units.
OVERVIEW OF THE COURSE
- Introduction to Perioperative Nursing
- Anatomy/Physiology of the Human Body and Common Surgical Procedures in Perioperative Nursing
- Leadership and Management in Perioperative Nursing
- Teaching & Learning in Perioperative Nursing
- Special Population in Perioperative Nursing
- Preparing the Patient for Surgery
- Prevention of Injury in Perioperative Nursing
- Anesthesia and Surgical Pharmacology in Perioperative Nursing
- Post-Operative Nursing Care in Perioperative Nursing
- Prevention of Infection in Perioperative Nursing
- Diagnostic Procedures and Oncologic Consideration in Operating Room
- Workplace Safety
- Advance Concepts in Nursing
- Nursing Health Assessment
- Introduction to Nursing Research
- English Language Course
- Computer Skill Course
- Practice Development in Perioperative Nursing